We can all agree that nobody knows the level of security on the web, but we are still using it. There are numerous theories that we are not that secured after all. For example, web browsing leaves cookies, like the way your browser and internet can remember your previous action so that your future browsing could be as simple as possible.
Cookies are small pieces of data that you store inside your web browser, and the idea is to recognize the website while you are visiting it. However, that usually means that we cannot browse without someone or something keeping tracks of everything you do.
What Are Cookies and Why We Use Need Them
Cookies are useful,and that is the fact, but we have to mention all the reasons and benefits so that you can understand their purpose. There are different types of cookies available online. A session cookie is a small piece of data that remains on your device temporarily,and it will last as long as you navigate through the website.
On the other hand, tracking cookies, that we all know as persistent cookies, will monitor your activity each time you visit the particular website. However, cookies can also be useful because it could help you shop online for example.
Imagine that you are adding items to your shopping cart and you have to navigate from the website for some reason. Your PC or device may crash, or any other problem may occur, but you will still be able to return to the site,and everything will stay in the shopping cart as it were at the moment you left.
Ugly Side of Cookies
We can all agree that a slight idea that someone is tracking our activities online can be frustrating.
Cookies are not here to take all information from you. They are here to get more profound insight on what you are navigating and how. So, the Google and other platforms can serve you ads based on your preferences and previous browsing.
By entering the internet, we are becoming target audience and potentially leads for all websites and agencies that are conducting digital marketing.
However, you won’t be able to eliminate the possibility of cookies through online browsing. The only solution is to stop using the internet. But you can still take some steps in cleanup so that you can safeguard yourself:
- Clear browsing history from time to time
- Use web browsers such as Ghostery, or any other that doesn’t leave any trace
Note: You should have in mind that even by using these tools for reducing the number of cookies, you will still have to provide some information about your browsing. As we have mentioned above, cookies are not here to take your personal information, but only things that you are browsing.
How to take control of Privacy on Web
- Don’t leave too much information – The necessary safety rule is to avoid any forms that require too specific and personal information. The best way to do it if you really must is to make another email that you will use only for leaving on other websites. That way, you will be able to filter things and reduce the possibility of safety problems.
- Clean Up Search History – You should have in mind that most search engines will keep track of everything you type inside the bar. Therefore, you should clean your browser so that your PC system can run at top speed.
- Be cautious on social media platforms – We all know that social media sites such as Facebook or Instagram are one of the most popular places in the world. At the same time, you will be able to connect with people from all across the globe. Therefore, you have to make sure to make your privacy settings appropriate, so that your information can be seen only by those with whom you are friends with (or those who follow you).
- Protect your Private Information – Before you share anything on social media such as website, blog, or anything else from real life, we recommend you to erase everything that could interfere with your public experience, especially if you are minor. Therefore, don’t leave phone number, password, addresses and other things that could lead to you in real life.
It is important to remember that you can easily increase the safety of your online actions. However, you can be careful and follow guides that we have presented you above, so that you can protect your valuable information.
Some people say that everything that you share online stays online forever. Therefore, we recommend you to think twice before you make it public.
In case that you have your thoughts about this topic, or you want to share with us some previous experiences, feel free to comment in the section below, and we will answer you in short notice. Cheers!